A section of the M1 Southbound near Milton Keynes is closed this afternoon (25/5) after over '400 litres' of fuel spilt onto the road.
A large amount of diesel fuel had leaked from an articulated lorry following a collision between Junction 14 and Junction 15.
As a result, the southbound carriageway has been closed so that the area can be safely cleaned.
Thames Valley Police units are on the scene along with Fire & Rescue, Highways England Traffic Officers and maintenance contractors.
People are being advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes where possible.
A spokesperson for Highways England said: "Road users caught within the closure are advised to remain with their vehicles. Our officers will commence clearing you from the closure once they've completed the process of closing the motorway at J15. You will be released forward past the scene in due course."
The #M1 southbound #J15 (#A45 #Northampton #Wellingborough) to #J14 (#A509) is currently CLOSED due to a spillage in the carriageway. Traffic Officers are currently at scene, Recovery & Maintenance Crews are on their. If planning travel, avoid the area. Updates to follow...— Highways England (@HighwaysEMIDS) May 25, 2021
Highways England does not know how long the closure will last, but say that it will be reopened "as soon as it is safe to do so".
A diversion is in operation for road users approaching the closure at J15:
- Exit at J15 and turn right on to the A508 Northampton Road southbound
- Remain on the A508 southbound to the roundabout with the A5 at Old Stratford
- Take the first exit from the roundabout on to the A5 towards Milton Keynes
- Remain on the A5 through Milton Keynes and exit at the interchange with the A509 at Loughton Lodge
- At the junction roundabout take the first exit on to the A509 Portway
- Continue over 9 roundabouts through Milton Keynes
- At the Northfield Roundabout take the first exit to remain on the A509
- At the next roundabout (J14 of the M1) take the third exit to re-join the motorway.